Wednesday 4 May 2011

Turning The Pages

"He's open to interpretation," which seems
the only sensible thing to say, in the absence of anything concrete.
Is he obscure because he is brilliant, or brilliant because he is obscure?
I knew a priest once, who was afraid of putting a book down,
                                                      in case it was something important.
A trick of the trade?
The writer gives the impression that he is a Catholic, and of Iriish extraction,
and a scholar of wierd and wonderful things, such as the boiling down of St.Thomas Aquinas.
As yet, he hasn't said that he knows of the fate of St. John of the Cross,
but I am still turning the pages, surprised that I have come this far.
There is no Introduction, and no road map, which leaves me wondering if
I should exclude the Notes from my soon to be published book.
On the face of it, I am tempted to argue that mine is better value.
But as his costs more, and is obscure, it could be the fruit of a good education.
So I won't start an argument, but opt instead, for reverence and respect.

__________  

 ©  Cormac McCloskey

No comments:

Post a Comment